A daily word, its definition, and an example of its usage in a recent Times article.



Write your best sentence using our Gladiator Word of the Day and post it to the blog. If you hear your sentence read during the morning announcements, stop by room 3119 to receive your extra credit coupon. Include the name of your 1st or 2nd period teacher. The class that submits the most sentences by the end of the nine weeks will receive an ice cream party.





Wednesday, July 18, 2012

October 18, 2012
forgo • verb

The verb forgo means to give up or lose the right to something.

The word forgo can be traced back to the Old English word forgān, which meant to pass away or to die, which is sometimes referred to as "giving up the ghost." Perhaps it was this idea of relinquishing something that led to our modern-day use of the word forgo to mean to give up, waive, or forfeit something. For example, someone charged with a crime might decide to forgo the right to remain silent and instead confess.

17 comments:

  1. I did bad on my math test , so therefore i forgoed going to my girlfriends house.




    carlos garrido mrs.foster 5 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i cant do my homework i forgo.

    Lazaro Perez
    Period:5/6
    Foster

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am doing my geometry homework and I don't get it I always forgo

    Dayanay Miranda Foster p.5/6

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Fridays I like to forgo on doing my homework.

    melissa beltre ms. foster p:5&6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcelo Coppola (Foster)P;5&6
    I never forgo on my homework no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never forgo on quizes or test.

    paula bodan
    per 5&6

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never forgo on any sports
    carlos diaz
    period.5/6
    ms.foster

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not forgo the delicious and mouth watering nutella snacks.
    Shazira Alvarez
    Ms.Foster
    Period.05/06

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andy Dominguez
    Mrs.Foster
    Period 5 & 6
    I would hate to forgo on my diet, it makes me feel super guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgo to play basketball in the park.

    Cristian Hernandez
    Foster
    Per. 6

    ReplyDelete
  11. I intend to forgo breakfast tomorrow morning.

    Claudia Ordaz
    Ms.Allen
    Per.1,2

    ReplyDelete
  12. erika guevara p#3
    ms.allen
    I intend to forgo breakfast tomorrow morning."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nassir Hazim
    p. 1 and 2
    ms. allen
    Sometimes i forgo about my homework assignments in school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christian Borowiak
    P2
    Mr. Borowiak

    Martin Luther King didn't forgo his beliefs in freedom for African Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yaneisy Ramos
    Ms.Allen
    Period#5&6

    And you have to forgo that comforting extra scoop of ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adriana Hernandez
    P:5&6
    The teachers never forgo with the homework.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gabriel Lopez
    Ms.Allen
    Period.5&6

    Normative agents fled from known aggressive agents, forgoing social interaction but also forgoing the possibility of theft and a loss to their strength.

    ReplyDelete